Advances in dental health have resulted in fewer Americans experiencing tooth loss. For decades, the only options available for people suffering from tooth loss were bridges and dentures, but in recent years, dental implants have gotten more common. Dr. Odufalu works with Dental implant specialists in the Redlands area and may refer patients to them if necessary.
Dental Implants in Redlands, CA
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implant is a small post, usually made of titanium, that acts as a substitute for the root of a tooth. A connector, known as an abutment, is attached to or built into the top of the dental implant and connects it to a replacement tooth. Finally, one can have a custom shaped crown (a replacement tooth) fabricated to match their natural teeth, completing an implant treatment.
Benefits and advantages of Dental Implants
Dental implants are a popular choice over other options when it comes to restoring the form and function of missing teeth. Dental implants are a great way to regain stability and comfort eating and speaking, as they are much more natural-looking and feeling than dentures.
What Are the Advantages of Dental Implants?
Dental implants offer a number of advantages over other tooth replacement options. They are strong and durable, they look and feel like your natural teeth, and they allow you to eat and speak without fear of your teeth slipping or falling out. Additionally, dental implants improve your oral health by preventing bone loss in the jaw and preserving the health of the surrounding teeth.
Dental implants have several benefits, including the following:
- Improved appearance: Dental implants are designed to look and feel like your own teeth. They are permanently fused with bone, making them a solid and long-lasting choice for tooth replacement.
- Improved comfort: Dental implants are a great option for those who want to avoid the discomfort of removable dentures. Once they are placed, implants fuse with the jawbone and become a permanent part of the mouth. This helps to eliminate any discomfort and provides a more natural feel.
- Easier eating: If you have sliding dentures, you may find it difficult to chew your food. Dental implants can provide support for your teeth so you can eat with confidence and without pain.
- Improved oral health: Dental implants don’t require taking out other teeth as tooth-supported bridges do. This is because of individual implants, which don’t require modifying nearby teeth for support. As more teeth are preserved, your long-term oral health will improve. Individual implants also enable you to more easily reach between teeth to improve oral hygiene.
- Durability: Dental implants are a long-term investment in your oral health. With proper care, they can last a lifetime.
- Convenience: Removable dentures can be taken out of the mouth as needed. Dental implants are a more permanent solution that does not require the use of adhesives to keep them in place.
Contact us online or call (909) 798-5777 today to book your free consultation with Tri-City Family Dental!
Risks and Benefits about Dental Implants
As with any surgery, dental implant surgery carries some risk of complications. However, these problems are rare, and when they do occur, they are usually minor and easily treated. Risks include:
- Infection at the implant site: The most common complication with dental implants is infection at the implant site. This can occur for a number of reasons, most commonly due to poor oral hygiene or because the immune system is compromised. In some cases, the implant itself can be the source of the infection. Treatment for an infected dental implant usually involves antibiotics and, in some cases, surgery to remove the infected tissue.
- Injury or damage to surrounding structures: Dental implants are a safe and effective way to replace missing teeth, but as with any surgery, there are some risks involved. The most common complication is infection, which can usually be treated with antibiotics. There is also a risk of damage to surrounding structures, such as other teeth or blood vessels. In rare cases, the implant may not fuse properly to the bone and will need to be removed. With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime.
- Nerve damage: Damage to the nerves in your teeth can cause a lot of different symptoms. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important to see a dentist or doctor right away so that they can diagnose the problem and begin treatment. Treatment options vary depending on the severity of the damage, but may include nerve removal, dental implants, or other corrective surgery.
- Sinus problems: Placing dental implants in the upper jaw can cause sinus problems if the implants protrude into one of your sinus cavities. To avoid this problem, your dentist can place the implants in the jawbone above the sinus cavity, or he/she can use special techniques to avoid damaging the sinus cavity.
Call us at (909) 798-5777 today to schedule your visit. We offer free over-the-phone consultations for all new and existing patients.
Can Anyone Get Dental Implants?
Most patients who are healthy enough to undergo routine dental extractions or oral surgery can be considered for dental implants. However, it is important that patients have healthy gums and enough bone to support the implant. In addition, patients must be committed to good oral hygiene and regular dental visits. Patients who have had radiation therapy to the head neck area (or for coronary heart disease, uncontrolled diabetes, or radiation treatments to others), as well as heavy smokers, should be evaluated on an individual basis. If you do not have implants, see what your dentist recommends.
Contact Our Redlands Dental Office!!
We invite you to visit our Redlands dental clinic. Our skilled professionals provide high-quality care and services. We are excited to meet you and help with all of your dental needs!